How Universal Access Enhances the Employee Experience
What Brings People to the Office?
Since the COVID-19 pandemic normalized work-from-home, many companies have struggled to bring workers back to the office, even when there would be clear benefits for both individuals and the company as a whole. At the same time, the talent squeeze has left many companies scrambling to fill critical open positions or retain the skilled workers they already have.
Flexible and remote work arrangements are likely to continue to play an important role in the future of work. However, many companies find that there are important benefits to bringing people together in an office environment, whether every day or just a few days each week. A robust office culture can also help companies attract and retain new talent and integrate new employees into the team.
What helps to bring employees into the office? There are several office attributes that contribute to a great office culture and happy, productive employees.
- Flexible: The modern office needs to accommodate the needs of different work styles and activities as well as both in-office and remote employees. For example, access to files and applications should be secure and reliable whether employees are in the office or working remotely. In the office, employees should be able to book and access workstations, meeting rooms, technology and other resources needed for different work activities.
- Productive: A productive office environment is one that enables easy, frictionless access to everything employees need, from printers to meeting spaces to digital files and applications. Employees should not have to spend excess time getting permissions, remembering passwords, or waiting for others to grant access to the resources they need.
- Inviting: Office amenities can go a long way toward attracting and retaining employees and making people excited to come into the office. Depending on the company size and location, that may mean providing vending machines, a coffee bar and snack station, or even a full cafeteria. Some companies also offer a company gym or wellness center, along with extras such as a game room.
- Convenient: What can you do to make the workplace more convenient for employees? While companies may not be able to control for commute time, they can offer secure parking, EV charging and bike storage for commuters. Some companies also offer shuttle service to transportation hubs.
- Safe: Employees need a sense of physical safety from the moment they step onto company property, from the parking garage to the elevator to the workspace. That means knowing that only authorized people are able to get onto the premises.
Access Solutions for a Great Office Culture
A universal access solution is an essential part of a great office environment. The right access solution eliminates friction points throughout the employee’s day, improves access to both work resources and company amenities, and enhances workplace safety and security. Here’s how.
- Eliminating Friction Points: Nobody enjoys fumbling with keys or remembering multiple PIN codes and passwords. A universal access system using radio-frequency identification (RFID) or smartphone credentialing streamlines entry and exit, making it seamless for employees to move from one space to another. This leads to smoother transitions and a more efficient use of time. It also reduces daily frustration for employees, creating a more positive work experience.
- Enhancing Productivity: Access isn’t just about entering the building; it’s also about utilizing what’s inside it effectively. A universal access system enables easy access to everything employees need throughout the day. The same access system can be used to book meeting rooms and workstations, facilitate secure printing, and enable single sign-on (SSO) to all the files and applications an employee is authorized to use from any workstation. This level of integration streamlines workflows and enhances productivity and efficiency across the organization.
- Enabling Convenience: A universal access system can provide easy access to free or paid workplace amenities, such as parking, EV charging, the cafeteria or the company gym. There is no need to fumble for a wallet or enter a special PIN code—just hold up the ID badge or smartphone, and access is granted. This makes access to all the little things that improve the workday more convenient for employees.
- Supporting Flexible Work: A universal access system can be used to provide secure access to both physical and digital resources. Remote workers can log into their laptops with ease with their ID card or smartphone and access all the files and systems they need, wherever they are. When they do come into the office, they can use their credentials to book and check into a shared workstation or meeting room or check out technology devices. A universal access system allows people to move seamlessly between the office and remote work, while ensuring data security.
- Improving Safety and Security: Traditional keys can be lost, copied, or stolen; codes and passwords can be forgotten, shared or hacked. A unified access system using RFID or smartphone credentials is highly secure and reliable; utilizing advanced encryption makes these systems nearly impossible to clone or hack. Individual credentials can be easily managed, tracked, and revoked if necessary. That means everyone can be assured that the people they encounter in parking areas, elevators and other secured locations are authorized to be there.
Investing in the right access solution is not just about making the office more secure. It’s about removing the everyday hassles that make work cumbersome and enhancing access to the resources and amenities that make people want to come to the office. A universal access solution helps to create an office that is not just a place to work, but a place to thrive.
ELATEC creates universal access solutions that work not only for companies and IT departments, but also for the people who actually use them. Our solutions improve convenience and usability for end users while simplifying management and reducing costs for companies.
To attract and retain top talent—and keep people wanting to come to the office—companies need to create office environments that are comfortable, convenient, productive and secure. In this environment, a universal access system can be a compelling benefit for employees and prospects. When we make it simpler for employees to access the resources they need and the amenities they want, we’re not only improving the day-to-day work experience but fostering a work culture that empowers people and drives success across the organization.
THE ELATEC NEWSLETTER Your authentication update
As a frequent reader, you will always be up to date with the latest information on the topic of authentication, know the current trends and receive valuable tips. By signing up to our newsletter, we will make sure you won't miss any new blog articles ever again. And on top, you get even more exciting news on our products, events and industry trends.